Last updated on December 6, 2011.
I desire to receive feedback from readers via comments on my posts. To facilitate civil, mature conversation on my website I’ve established a few simple ground rules.
By posting a comment on my blog, you recognize and agree to the following:
- You do not have to register in order to leave a comment. In fact, there is not way for anyone to register a profile on my website.
- You may leave a comment anonymously. I don’t recommend this, but you may do so if you wish.
- You may post follow-up questions. If you have a question, chances are you are not alone. Others are likely thinking similarly. Therefore, I would prefer to receive your questions as a comment on my blog. However, you are certainly welcome to email or tweet a question to me.
- You may disagree with me. If you choose to express that you disagree with me—or anyone else who has commented before you for that matter—do so in a way that is respectful. In my opinion, there is way too much shouting in the public square and it will not be tolerated here.
- I reserve the right to delete your comments. This is my blog. I have no obligation to publish your comments. The First Amendment gives you the right to freely express your opinions. This empowers you to do so on your blog, but not mine. Specifically, I will delete any comment that is, in my sole opinion, (a) snarky; (b) off-topic; (c) libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violates or encourages others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws; or (d) “spam,” i.e., an attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services.
- You retain ownership of your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
- You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to on a blog, in a book, in a video, or in a presentation.
In short, my hope is to host interesting conversations with caring, honest, and respectful people. I believe this simple comments policy will facilitate this goal while providing appropriate boundaries.